What Is MDMA?

MDMA (methylenedioxy methamphetamine) is the name for the popular drug ecstasy, also called Molly, X, E, Adam, Eve and a host of other names typically with the word “love” because this synthetic, mind-altering drug is most known for the feeling it brings of fondness for other people. MDMA acts both as a stimulant and as a hallucinogenic. (If you need to learn more about what those are, visit their posts here on the website.)

Those feelings of love and bonding stem from the way MDMA interacts and affects neurotransmitters in the brain associated with good moods and bonding (serotonin, dopamine and oxytocin).

Molly is supposed to be the pure, powdered form of MDMA, that usually comes in a capsule. But, the truth is, because Molly is in a powdered form, it is much easier for drug dealers to “cut” other addictive and even toxic chemicals into the powder, making it far more dangerous. And that “cutting” can happen anytime along the chain of dealer to dealer to dealer. So by the time it gets to the user, who knows what is in that capsule.

MDMA is also the active component in ecstasy (a pill), but ecstasy is also not necessarily pure MDMA either. Because ecstasy is manufactured directly into pill form, no cutting and adding of toxic chemicals can happen after that. However, that doesn’t mean it’s safe – one pink smiley face ecstasy pill can contain something entirely different than the next pink smiley face pill.

Scientists have found that only 25% of ecstasy pills studied had pure MDMA. Anything can be put into the pills, so the other 75% of the ecstasy pills can contain anything. Just like anything can be added to the powdered form of Molly.

Anything.

And that anything will likely include substances that lead to addiction. After all, the drug dealers want you back for more. Pills could be laced with extremely addictive and dangerous substances such as neurotoxins, PCP (acid), heroin, cocaine, amphetamines. Sometimes you could be getting pure PCP rather than what is considered ecstasy.

 

Post Question: Would you ever willingly take a toxin (a poisonous chemical)? Why then, do you think so many people willingly take drugs that may contain toxins?


Leave a Reply

One response to “What Is MDMA?”

  1. John February 7, 2018 at 8:17 pm
    John

    “Why then, do you think so many people willingly take drugs that may contain toxins?” I don’t know, ask anyone who has ever drank alcohol ever